There’s no doubt about it: Satisfied employees are good for business. Research has found links between job satisfaction and employee turnover, customer satisfaction-loyalty, safety, productivity and employee health.
In 2017, Dirlam and Zheng published findings that job satisfaction between the ages of 25-29 has a cumulative effect on health as early as age 40. Those with the lowest job satisfaction had the worst health. However, individuals who started their career with low job satisfaction and trended up did not experience the health problems associated with consistently low or declining job satisfaction. The results also indicated mental health, a top priority for employers, was more affected by job satisfaction than physical health.
But wait, there’s more. Job satisfaction may have a larger impact on overall well-being than any other element of the well-being model. That’s why the Business Group is releasing a new resource for our members—Job Satisfaction: The Secret Agent of Well-being.
This publication brings together need-to-know information about what drives employee satisfaction, employer spotlights and over 80 promising practices implemented at today’s best places to work. Here’s a peek at a few approaches that can influence job satisfaction and engage employees:
- Focus on strengths over weaknesses and offer regular praise
- Celebrate individual accomplishments—professional and personal—and team accomplishments
- Consider rewards that promote well-being, such as time-off awards, a family trip or a spa day
- Make employee-driven shift swaps simple through scheduling apps
- Find ways to involve families in well-being programs and services, like on-site clinics and EAPs
- Offer development through stretch assignments and opportunities to solve real-world business problems
While there’s no “one-size-fits-all” approach to creating a healthy workplace, leaders at all levels can benefit from understanding the passions and needs of today’s workforce and exploring strategies that optimize the employee experience.