May 09, 2023
Employers play a significant role in promoting preventive care and improving the health of their employees. Preventive care is one of the best ways to reduce health care costs and improve the health and productivity of the population.
Employers can invest in better preventive care compliance in multiple ways outlined throughout this document. By doing so, they can limit cost increases over the long term and help their employees navigate the health care system more effectively. Employers should also turn to their vendor partners and hold them accountable for promoting and monitoring compliance with preventive services and assisting with communication and engagement efforts. Improving preventive screenings and adoption of innovation in preventive care needs to be a multi-stakeholder, sustained effort. With a proactive approach, employers and their partners can make a significant impact on the health and well-being of their employees while also reducing costs.
Business Group on Health-Related Content
- Departments Issue Proposed Rule on ACA Preventive Services Coverage
- USPSTF and HRSA Issue Updated ACA Preventive Services Guidelines
- Impactful Interventions: The Role of Employers in Addressing Prediabetes and Diabetes Prevention
- Designing Incentives and Lifestyle Spending Accounts For a Modern Workforce
- Optimizing Your HIV/AIDS Prevention Strategies: Despite Much Progress, More Work Remains
- Coverage for Unhealthy Drug Use Screening Required by 2022 Plan Year
- 1 | Minemyer, P. Patients are likely to avoid preventive care should ACA coverage ruling stand, survey finds. March 8, 2023. https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payers/patients-are-likely-avoid-preventive-care-should-aca-coverage-ruling-stand-survey-finds. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 2 | Ugai, T., et al. Is early-onset cancer an emerging global epidemic? Current evidence and future implications. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology. 2022; 19(10): 656-673.
- 3 | United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Recommendation Topics. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation-topics. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 4 | Business Group on Health. ACA Preventive Services Chart. November 3, 2022. https://www.businessgrouphealth.org/resources/aca-preventive-services-chart. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 5 | National Association of Community Health Centers. Closing the Primary Care Gap. February 2023. https://www.nachc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Closing-the-Primary-Care-Gap_Full-Report_2023_digital-final.pdf. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 6 | Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative. Spending for Primary Care Fact Sheet. https://www.pcpcc.org/sites/default/files/resources/PCPCC%20Fact%20Sheet%20PC%20Spend%20Aug%202018.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 7 | McAlearney AS, Gaughan AA, Shiu-Yee K, DePuccio MJ. Silver linings around the increased use of telehealth after the emergence of COVID-19: Perspectives from primary care physicians. J Prim Care Community Health. 2022 Jan-Dec;13:21501319221099485. doi: 10.1177/21501319221099485. PMID: 35588253; PMCID: PMC9130845.
- 8 | Elevance Health. Nearly four in five Americans who have used virtual primary care say it helped them take charge of their health. October 31, 2022. https://www.elevancehealth.com/newsroom/virtual-primary-care-helps-consumers-take-control-of-their-health.
- 9 | Whitehead DC, Mehrotra A. The growing phenomenon of “virtual-first” primary care. JAMA. 2021;326(23):2365–2366. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.21169
- 10 | Pippitt K, Li M, et al. Diabetes mellitus: Screening and diagnosis. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Jan 15;93(2):103-109.
- 11 | United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Final Recommendation Statement- Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes: Screening. August 24, 2021. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/screening-for-prediabetes-and-type-2-diabetes. Accessed April 24, 2023.
12 | United States Preventive Services Task Force. Screening
for cardiovascular disease risk with electrocardiography: Recommendation statement. Am Fam Physician. 2018 Sep 15;98(6): online.
https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0915/od1.html. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 13 | United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Final Recommendation Statement: Statin Use for the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Adults: Preventive Medication. August 23, 2022 https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/statin-use-in-adults-preventive-medication#:~:text=What%20does%20the%20USPSTF%20recommend,Initiate%20a%20statin. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 14 | United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Understanding Task Force Recommendations: Screening for Chronic Kidney Disease. August 2012. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/chronic-kidney-disease-ckd-screening. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 15 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic Kidney Disease in the United States, 2021. July 12, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/kidneydisease/publications-resources/ckd-national-facts.html#:~:text=CKD%20Is%20Common%20Among%20US%20Adults&text=More%20than%201%20in%207,are%20estimated%20to%20have%20CKD. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 16 | United Kingdom National Health Service (NHS). Diagnosis: Chronic kidney disease. August 29, 2019. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-disease/diagnosis/. March 9, 2023.
- 17 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC’s HIV Prevention Progress in the United States. October 1, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/dhap/progress/index.html. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 18 | Business Group on Health. New ACA Preventive Service Coverage Requirement for HIV (PrEP). June 4, 2019. https://www.businessgrouphealth.org/resources/new-aca-preventive-service-coverage-requirement-for-hiv-prep. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 19 | Department of Labor. FAQs About Affordable Care Act Implementation Part 47. July 19, 2021. https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/EBSA/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/aca-part-47.pdf. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 20 | Varney, S. HIV Preventive Care is Supposed to Be Free in the U.S., So, Why Are Some Patients Still Paying? Kaiser Family Foundation Health news. March 3, 2022. https://khn.org/news/article/prep-hiv-prevention-costs-covered-problems-insurance/. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 21 | Health Resources and Services Administration. Women’s Preventive Services Guidelines. December 2022. https://www.hrsa.gov/womens-guidelines. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 22 | Fedewa SA, Star J, Bandi P, et al. Changes in cancer screening in the US during the COVID-19 pandemic. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(6):e2215490. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.15490
- 23 | Rodriguez S. Patient Engagement HIT. Preventive care takes a hit, cancer screenings drop 80% amid pandemic . June 6, 2022. https://patientengagementhit.com/news/preventive-care-takes-a-hit-cancer-screenings-drop-80-amid-pandemic. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 24 | Meister, K. Prevent Cancer Foundation. Alarming new study shows pandemic is disrupting cancer screenings. February 25, 2022. https://www.preventcancer.org/2022/02/alarming-new-study-shows-pandemic-is-disrupting-cancer-screenings/. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 25 | Callison K, et al. Cancer screening after the adoption of paid-sick-leave mandates. New England Journal of Medicine. 2023; 388.9: 824-832.
- 26 | Abul-Husn, N.S., Soper, E.R., Odgis, J.A, et al. Exome sequencing reveals a high prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 founder variants in a diverse population-based biobank. Genome Med. 2020; 12 (2) . https://doi.org/10.1186/s13073-019-0691-1. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 27 | United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Final Recommendation Statement: BRCA-Related Cancer: Risk Assessment, Genetic Counseling, and Genetic Testing. August 20, 2019. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/brca-related-cancer-risk-assessment-genetic-counseling-and-genetic-testing. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 28 | National Institute of Health. Biomarker Testing for Cancer Treatment. December 14, 2021. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types/biomarker-testing-cancer-treatment#:~:text=A%20biomarker%20test%20may%20be,those%20you%20are%20born%20with. Accessed April, 24, 2023.
- 29 | Business Group on Health. 2023 Large Employers’ Health Care Strategy and Plan Design Survey. August 2022. Available at:https://www.businessgrouphealth.org/%20resources/2023-large-employers-health-care-strategy-survey-intro. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 30 | Klein E A, Richards D, Cohn A., Tummala M, Lapham R, Cosgrove D,. et al. . Clinical validation of a targeted methylation-based multi-cancer early detection test using an independent validation set. Annals of Oncology. 2021; 32(9), 1167-1177.
- 31 | United State Preventive Services Task Force. Draft Recommendation Statement Breast Cancer: Screening. May 9, 2023. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/draft-recommendation/breast-cancer-screening-adults#:~:text=Recommendation%20Summary&text=The%20USPSTF%20recommends%20biennial%20screening,ages%2040%20to%2074%20years.&text=The%20USPSTF%20concludes%20that%20the,age%2075%20years%20or%20older. Accessed May 10, 2023.
- 32 | American Cancer Society. American Cancer Society Recommendations for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/breast-cancer/screening-tests-and-early-detection/american-cancer-society-recommendations-for-the-early-detection-of-breast-cancer.html. Accessed May 10, 2023.
- 33 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. What Does It Mean to Have Dense Breasts? September 26, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/basic_info/dense-breasts.htm. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 34 | National Institute of Health: National Cancer Institute. Dense Breasts: Answers to Commonly Asked Questions. https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/breast-changes/dense-breasts. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 35 | Food and Drug Administration. FDA Updates Mammography Regulations to Require Reporting of Breast Density Information and Enhance Facility Oversight. March 9, 2023. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-updates-mammography-regulations-require-reporting-breast-density-information-and-enhance. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 36 | Mayo Clinic. Virtual Colonoscopy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/virtual-colonoscopy/about/pac-20385156. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 37 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Colorectal (Colon Cancer): Screening Tests. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/tests.htm. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 38 | ACS Medical Content and News Staff. Colorectal Cancer Screening: What Are My Options? American Cancer Society. March 2, 2020. https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/understanding-tests-that-screen-for-colon-cancer.html. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 39 | Cavallo J. Solving the mystery of why colorectal cancer Is on the rise in young adults: A conversation with Kimmie Ng, MD, MPH. The ASCO Post. June 25, 2019. https://www.ascopost.com/issues/june-25-2019/solving-the-mystery-of-why-colorectal-cancer-is-on-the-rise-in-young-adults/. Accessed July 8, 2020.
- 40 | National Cancer Institute . Why Is Colorectal Cancer Rising Rapidly among Young Adults?. November 5, 2020. https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2020/colorectal-cancer-rising-younger-adults. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 41 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lung Cancer: Who Should Be Screened for Lung Cancer? https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/screening.htm. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 42 | American Cancer Society. Can Lung Cancer Be Found Early?. January 8, 2023. https://www.cancer.org/content/cancer/en/cancer/lung-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/detection.html. Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 43 | Richards TB, Soman A, Thomas CC, et al. Screening for Lung Cancer — 10 States, 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020; 69:201–206. http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6908a1.
- 44 | U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Cervical Cancer: Screening. August 21, 2018. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/cervical-cancer-screening . Accessed March 9, 2023.
- 45 | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HPV Vaccination Recommendations. November 16, 2023. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/hpv/hcp/recommendations.html. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 46 | National Cancer Institute. Cervical Cancer Prognosis and Survival Rates. January 6, 2023. https://www.cancer.gov/types/cervical/survival#:~:text=When%20cervical%20cancer%20is%20diagnosed,relative%20survival%20rate%20is%2059%25. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 47 | Rosenberg J. Cervical cancer screening rates" unacceptably low," researchers find. The American Journal of Managed Care. February 10, 2020. https://www.ajmc.com/view/cervical-cancer-screening-rates-unacceptably-low-researchers-find. Accessed April 24, 2023.
- 48 | Winer Rachel L, et al. Rationale and design of the HOME trial: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial of home-based human papillomavirus (HPV) self-sampling for increasing cervical cancer screening uptake and effectiveness in a US healthcare system. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2018; 64 : 77-87.