Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
Summary of Duties
The Senior Employee Assistance Counselor is responsible for managing and designing behavioral health interventions for individuals and workplace groups that enhance the overall wellbeing of employees. This includes providing professional, confidential and timely provision of behavioral health services to employees and their dependents for emotional and behavioral problems as well as substance abuse/alcohol abuse that could affect their safety and productivity.
- Manages the daily operations of the Employee Assistance Program in assigned region to include clinical and consultative work with employees and managers, development of strategies to encourage program utilization by employees in assigned area, oversight of divisional trends affecting employee behavioral health, and development of meaningful strategies to address local issues;
- Provides regular oversight of substance abuse and behavioral health care of employees during and after treatment to ensure full treatment and development of comprehensive follow up plans that support a successful return to work and an ongoing ability to thrive in a safety culture. Provides comprehensive behavioral health assessments, referrals, and follow-up for employees and family members;
- Develops and actively contributes to the EAP Drug and Alcohol Program design and implementation from the beginning of the case through the follow up program of mandatory and voluntary cases.
- Provides short term problem resolution for employees and managers on a wide range of sensitive and complex matters, including behavioral health issues that affect work performance, drug/alcohol problems and interpersonal difficulties.
- Ensures the timely and effective management of voluntary and mandatory substance abuse cases while maintaining compliance with 49 CFR Part 40 and Amtrak’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Plan. Maintains strict confidentiality and secure reporting and records in accordance with established employee assistance professional standards, applicable state and federal statutes, and Amtrak policies.
- Collaborates with and provides guidance to managers across the organization to identify and address behavioral health issues that affect safety, productivity and/or employee wellbeing.
- Conducts the Substance Abuse Professional Assessments ensuring compliance with DOT/FRA regulations.
- Provides clinical expertise on complex behavioral health cases to Amtrak’s medical department, Occupational Testing, Leave Management, Labor Relations, EEO and Compliance and all Amtrak stakeholders.
- Overseas the provision of emotionally supportive services by managers, vendor counselors and others following workplace critical incidents to decrease recovery
- time and increase employee resilience;
- Assesses divisional needs for behavioral health education that support a safe workplace;
- Develops and conducts customized behavioral health training to support employee resilience, employee safety and workplace wellbeing
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of Federal regulations, Amtrak policies, Labor contacts, benefits, substance abuse resources, and behavioral health strategies.
- Provides assessment, referral and case management for employees exposed to workplace trauma.
- Monitor productivity and manage performance expectations through collaboration with EAP vendor and other internal resources.
- Coordinates with vendor counselors to ensure the provision of services to employees and their dependents for personal and behavioral health problems, including but not limited to alcohol, drugs, health, marriage, family, legal, emotional, stress, performance, and financial issues affecting the employee’s productivity.
- Requires Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field;
- Requires licensure at the highest level available in the state, or eligible to do so within 90 days;
- Five years of work experience in employee assistance programs, addiction, social work, or related counseling field.
- Substance Abuse Professional certification (eligible)
- Extensive knowledge of EAP Core Technologies
- Advanced knowledge of substance abuse treatment best practices, brief therapy and solution-focused treatment methods.
- Advanced knowledge of critical incidents standards and protocols and clinical recommendations.
- Knowledge and strict adherence to state and federal confidentiality laws.
- Knowledge of federal regulations regarding substance abuse.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of behavioral health and drug and alcohol counseling standards and protocols.
- Demonstrated skill in PC based spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point)
- Certified Employee Assistance Professional, (CEAP).
- Frequently performs tasks that require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally performs tasks that require standing and/or walking for extended periods of time.
- Frequently learns new knowledge, skills, and tasks, both complex and simple, in order to maintain effectiveness in position.
- Frequently resolves problems, with conflicting priorities, in cognitively demanding situations.
- Constantly works long hours as required; works extended hours and is required to be on-call and available on an emergency basis.
- Constantly works in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities.
Communications and Interpersonal Skills
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
The salary/hourly range is $74,000 - $95,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, internal equity, etc. Depending on an employee’s assigned worksite or location, Amtrak may consider a geo-pay differential to be applied to the employee’s base salary. Amtrak may offer additional incentive and pay programs to recognize and reward our employees, including a short-term incentive bonus based upon factors such as individual and company performance that is commensurate with the level of the position and/or long-term incentive plan compensation. In addition to your salary, Amtrak offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and vision plans; health savings accounts; wellness programs; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with employer match; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; paid time off; back-up care; adoption assistance; surrogacy assistance; reimbursement of education expenses; Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; Railroad Retirement sickness and retirement benefits; and rail pass privileges. Learn more about our benefits offerings here.
Job Family/Function:Human Capital
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for public transportation ( Title 6 U.S.C. § 1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.