At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. https://www.ucop.edu/about
This position provides planning, analysis and operational support for the systemwide Health and Welfare Benefits (H&WB) programs for UC faculty, staff, retirees and their dependents. Responsibilities include management of benefits eligibility appeals, coordination of plan member satisfaction surveys, facilitation of medical plan performance guarantees, supporting the annual plan renewal and Open Enrollment cycles, developing and maintaining benefits education materials, and supporting systems integration between H&WB and the UC HRIS (known as UCPath) and the retirement administration system (known as Redwood). Additional assignments may include analytical and project management support for benefits administration projects that span the H&WB portfolio, which includes medical, behavioral health and prescription drug benefits - including HMOs, PPOs, HSAs, Medicare Advantage/Supplement and Medicare Exchange products – as well as dental and vision coverage, life, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term and long-term disability plans, and identity protection, legal and adoption assistance programs.
The position works collaboratively as part of a dynamic managerial team offering in-depth subject matter expertise, problem resolution and strategy development on complex policy and benefits issues. The incumbent uses skills as an experienced professional with a full understanding of employee health and welfare benefits industry practices, policies and procedures to resolve a wide range of plan administration, systems technology and member issues in imaginative as well as practical ways; perform root cause analysis on problems of diverse scope involving evaluation of objective data and subjective situational interpretation; demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions; and cultivate internal and external contacts to solve problems and complete assigned projects and tasks.
- 50% Manages employee benefits eligibility appeals process, including triage, root cause analysis research, preparation of case summaries, coordination of Appeals Committee meetings, interaction with UCPath and communication with appellants. Reviews, interprets and applies benefits eligibility policy (Group Insurance Regulations).
- 15% Provides Open Enrollment support to the Health & Welfare Benefits team. Facilitates cross-departmental Renewal Planning & Implementation Team (RPIT). Coordinates annual communication to internal UC stakeholders regarding plan renewals and Open Enrollment (Benefit Plans Memo). Creates and maintains staff training materials (e.g., New Employee Benefits Orientation and Benefits Training modules) in partnership with plan subject matter experts.
- 10% Performs complex financial, plan design and administration research, analysis and project management pertaining to health and welfare benefits administration, as assigned. Assist Senior Director, Director and Managers in development of materials for senior leadership, including reports and presentations on policies, plan design and administration, industry trends and technical information.
- 10% Coordinates creation and administration of plan member satisfaction surveys, working in partnership with external vendor. Manages vendor relationship. Analyzes survey results, prepares presentations and summaries, and communicates findings to leadership, benefits professionals and other groups.
- 10% Participate as a member of the Benefits Center of Expertise team, serving as a liaison between Health & Welfare Benefits and UCPath Center, specifically regarding the development, prioritization and implementation of benefits-related functionality and workflow in the human resources management system (UCPath/PeopleSoft). Perform a similar role with the Retirement Administration Service Center and Benefits Information Systems, as relevant to the retiree management system ("Redwood"). Creates Business Requirements for system updates, changes and defects related to health and welfare benefits. Manages tasks using project management software (Atlassian Jira).
- 5% Coordinates performance guarantees for medical and behavioral health plans carriers/administrators. Partners with Medical Plans team to draft and negotiate performance guarantee standards. Requests reports from vendor partners, reviews performance data, assesses and ensures collection of penalties.
Min 5 years Relevant professional experience in benefits, compensation, customer service management, financial management and analysis or allied field.
Skills and Abilities
- Has thorough knowledge of and subject matter expertise in health and welfare benefit program policy, plan design and systems for large employer groups
- Has ability to independently gather, organize, and perform analysis assignments
- Ability to present complex benefit design and administration information in a clear and concise manner, both in writing and verbally
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop / web applications
- Ability to understand, interpret and translate for the layperson health and welfare plan benefits design, policy and procedures
- Applies political acumen to intricate situations occurring in a complex organizational structure
- Ability to guide and negotiate complex issues through a hierarchical, bureaucratic organization to achieve resolution
- Possesses proactive and advanced problem-solving skills. Ability to determine root cause of problems and recommend solutions that address concerns of plan members or other stakeholders and consider the often-conflicting needs of diverse constituents. Applies initiative, resourcefulness and creativity to problem resolution
- Knowledge of and ability to successfully apply principles of project management. Ability to lead cross-disciplinary teams and facilitate consensus-based teamwork for productive outcomes
- Promote the exchange of information among project team members and support staff, and convey appropriate information to project sponsors
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to anticipate and develop solutions to client concerns
- Flexible and willing to adapt based on feedback
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations applicable to large group health and welfare benefit plans, including but not limited to Section 125 Plans, ACA, HIPAA and Medicare regulations
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills and ability to contribute to a team-oriented atmosphere with a positive attitude, establishing and maintaining productive, professional working relationships with vendor partners, colleagues and constituents of diverse occupational and social backgrounds
- Ability to organize, coordinate and complete projects successfully and within deadlines, providing high quality work products that demonstrate a penchant for detail and commitment to accuracy
- Ability to work independently, following through on assignments with general supervision, and balance multiple projects simultaneously with demanding time frames for completion. Self-motivated with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of health care delivery and related economics as well as basic working knowledge of clinical issues and practices
- In-depth knowledge of UC employee health benefit programs, including benefits plan design, compliance requirements and systems operations (UCPath, Redwood), as well as general knowledge of other areas of human resources
- Knowledge of the University environment including its infrastructure, goals, objectives, achievements, rules, regulations and policies. Deep knowledge of UC policy and procedures, including benefits eligibility (Group Insurance Regulations), staff (PPSM), academic personnel (APM) policies and collective bargaining agreements
Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
Job Title: Benefits Program Strategy Analyst 3
Job Code: 007729
Salary Grade: Grade 22
Payscale: $94,000 - $109,000
Full Salary Range: $77,600 - $140,400
The University of California, Office of the President, is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The full salary range shows the growth potential for this position and the pay scale is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position.
Benefits: For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/benefits-of-belonging.html
How to Apply
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
Application Review Date
The first review date for this job is September 13th, 2023 The position will be open until filled.
Conditions of Employment
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. https://www.ucop.edu/local-human-resources/manager-resources/hiring-process/background-checks.html
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. https://www.ucop.edu/safety-and-loss-prevention/environmental/program-resources/uc-smoke-free/uc-smoke-tobacco-free.html
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: https://www.ucop.edu/accessibility/index.html or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think you fit the bill, send your resume and portfolio through to us today, we are looking forward to it!