At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. https://www.ucop.edu/about
Health & Welfare Benefits is a unit within Total Rewards, part of Systemwide Human Resources.
Manages specific benefit programs. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to manage and use professional staff and resources to meet schedules and goals. Oversees benefits program issues that are diverse in scope. Has interactions with internal and external contacts on issues of significance. Exercises strong judgment in interpreting and administering benefit programs. Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve goals results in additional costs and personnel, and serious delays in overall schedules.
- 20% Manages vendor performance evaluation and reporting, negotiates with vendor account management to resolve plan design and operational issues. Negotiates and manages performance standards/agreements to ensure appropriate levels of service are met.
- 20% Through subordinates, oversees contract renewals and ongoing maintenance of contracts as well as competitive bidding of medical program services
- 20% Selects, develops and evaluates a professional staff to ensure effective and efficient operation of function. Provides direct supervision and guidance to staff members involved in the development, implementation, compliance and maintenance non-medical programs and policies.
- 15% Use internal and vendor performance metrics to formulate plan design and program recommendations to further enhance program value to employees and UC. Conducts short and long-range planning.
- 15% Provides subject matter expertise on non-medical plans. Interacts with senior management and stakeholders on controversial situations, negotiations or, to influence and persuade others.
- 10% Keeps abreast of health and welfare benefits trends to ensure benefit offerings align with UC strategy, meet employee/retiree needs and are market competitive.
- Requires broad knowledge of theory and practice related to benefits and retirement plan design.
- Requires broad knowledge of benefits financial analysis, underwriting and actuarial principles, benchmarking, strategic and clinical aspects of program design, research review, accounting principles and practices, performance measurement tools.
- Communicates information in a clear and concise manner in writing and verbally.
- Client services oriented, has good listening, critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task, shift priorities as necessary and meet deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and influence others and develop and maintain high standards of customer service.
- Proven ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Requires experience managing a professional staff.
- Requires knowledge of policies and practices in financial, employee and labor relations, and UC business areas.
- Requires broad understanding of UC budgetary, political and employee relations dynamics.
Minimum 10 years work experience, with a minimum of eight years experience in health and welfare benefits management for a large organization, preferably in the higher education industry.
Skills and Abilities
Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
10% Offsite meetings, conferences
Job Title: Benefits Program Strategy Manager 1
Job Code: 000288
Salary Grade: Grade 25
Payscale: $135,000 - $153,100
Full Salary Range: $105,500 - $200,700
The University of California, Office of the President, is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The full salary range shows the growth potential for this position and the pay scale is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position.
Health & Welfare Benefits is a unit within Total Compensation, part of Systemwide Human Resources.
Benefits: For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/benefits-of-belonging.html
How to Apply
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
Application Review Date
The first review date for this job is September 8th, 2023 The position will be open until filled.
Conditions of Employment
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. https://www.ucop.edu/local-human-resources/manager-resources/hiring-process/background-checks.html
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. https://www.ucop.edu/safety-and-loss-prevention/environmental/program-resources/uc-smoke-free/uc-smoke-tobacco-free.html
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: https://www.ucop.edu/accessibility/index.html or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4533449
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
If you think you fit the bill, send your resume and portfolio through to us today, we are looking forward to it!