- Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles®
- Emotional Health
- Financial Security
- Job Satisfaction
- Physical Health
- Health Assessment/ Biometric Screening
- Healthy Dining
- Physical Activity
- Preventive Services
- Tobacco and Tobacco Cessation
- Weight Management
- Wellness Champions
- Social Connectedness
Wellness and Healthy Lifestyles
Healthy lifestyle factors such as healthy weight, physical activity, good nutrition and zero tobacco use are together responsible for as much as an 80 percent reduction in the risk of developing the most common and deadly chronic diseases. These conditions, which include cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes, are also major cost drivers for employer health plans. Since employees as consumers are responsible for sharing and managing these costs, employers and employees together have an investment in workforce wellness.
Workplace well-being initiatives have grown and expanded significantly over the last several years in response to the obesity epidemic and its impact on health care trend. Most large companies have programs in place to address weight management, increase physical activity, manage stress and eliminate tobacco. Key resources to support employer programs include:
- Evidence-based engagement strategies and tactics for wellness programs such as financial incentives, effective communications, senior leadership, environmental support for healthy behaviors and the incorporation of behavioral economics, social norming and social networks.
- Prevention and management of obesity, diabetes and other lifestyle-related conditions in adults and children, including employer approaches and examples.
- Business case, tools and tactics for stress management, physical activity promotion and healthy dining in the workplace.
- How to become a tobacco-free workplace.
- Understanding the impact of high stress on employee health and health costs, productivity, satisfaction and retention, and how strategies at both the individual and organizational level can help.
- Information on becoming a Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles® award winner.
Page last updated: January 10, 2013